Tuesday 15 March 2011

Shopping-Cart Etiquette

Whenever you go to the supermarket, it can be pretty straightforward to head for fresh fruits and vegetables, grab a chicken breast and then head out the door.  In the past, any such trip would not be complete without a visit to the bakery with that glorious display of frosting that just melted in your mouth simply by looking at it.  Sure, I still peek, but I just keep on moving.  There's no room in my shopping cart for such things anymore.  There's quite a lot to move past, in fact.  It's easy not to get caught up in needing to explore every last item on every last shelf.  Recently, I started realizing that I was doing just that, but in another form.  My inbox gets peppered with emails from all the so-called weight-loss experts and I try to keep up with them all.  If the magazine cover promotes a way to walk yourself slim, it goes in the cart.  This can all eventually become overwhelming, just as overwhelming as if you stopped to read every label on every item in the supermarket.  So, where do you draw the line?  My body used to be filled to capacity with all kinds of stuff which ended up being the wrong kind of stuff and now I'm realizing that I don't want the same thing for my mind.  I don't want to come across as the same thing, either.  I want the information that I process to be straightforward and I want to share it in the same spirit.  Here's the first thing I'll remind myself of and that is, I walk.  Of all the things I do for myself, walking is undoubtedly the best.  My body wants to move.  Sure, I could write endlessly about all the benefits of walking, but that just ends up being more stuff in that shopping cart in our head.  I walk and I'm going to keep on walking.  I'm also going to keep on walking past that sugar-filled display case.  As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I had a little peek.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo!
    I look forward to walking again as well. I remember feeling strong and capable, something walking made me feel.
    I am starting with swimming and walking is next.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison,

    There's nothing like moving your body. Tonight, I'm going out for dinner and knowing I have all that walking punched in, I feel like I'm well prepared for the meal that awaits. I don't know how to swim so I won't be writing about that anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete