Sunday 27 March 2011

One Pound

On the surface, losing one pound doesn't seem like a really big deal.  After all, it's just one pound.  Well, how about if that same one pound was the one you gained?  Now, if you're like me, that one pound takes on a whole new meaning.  I usually weight myself once a week and as of late, I have seen two pounds come off.  Well, it's time for me to admit that I just got comfortable and lazy.  As I look back on the past week, I had dinner out one night that consisted of hamburgers and french fries and I admit, they went down with pure delight.  The next night, in a storm, I found myself at a restaurant with a special friend where I enjoyed three, um, four courses.  Late last night I found my way into a sub shop for what I thought was a healthy choice when I should really be questioning is anything really a healthy choice at midnight.  This morning, it was breakfast out with a friend and breakfast out with anyone is never on the top of a healthy-eating list.  This afternoon, I discover that I am up one pound.  Oh, I forgot to add that I haven't walked since Wednesday.  It's a wonder I'm not up five more.  So, this is the time I get to put it all on pause, rewind a little, and see what I've done over the past week.  I guess these choices are ones I sometimes make through the week, but when you're walking three hours a day, it doesn't seem to matter.  I don't remember the last time I gained weight.  While it's only a pound, it's in the wrong direction.  This is going to change.  The one thing I can't do is go back to all the walking and then use that as an excuse to eat out with the wrong things on the plate.  Who would I be kidding to do that?  I admit, I did miss my walking and even though the sidewalks are snowy downtown again, I can either slow it down on the snow or find another route.  I'll think about that this evening.  For now, I won't beat up on myself too much.  I'll accept the truth of this, give thanks for catching this before it went to five pounds, and commit to doing better.  I'm sure things will be back to normal before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment