Monday 28 March 2011

Back on Track

All it took was one pound gained to snap me back into reality.  After a few days away from my routine of three hours walking per day, I'm back on track.  That one extra pound is already gone.  I will forever recall how I felt about that one pound and for sure, the next time I lose one pound, you won't hear me say, oh, it's just one pound.  Sure, it would be easy to blame all the snow we had recently, but the truth is, it wasn't the snow that kept me away, after all, I would have had no trouble even walking in it.  I had a shift in consciousness last Wednesday.  Again, it was as simple as a thought.  It's incredible how powerful our thoughts are.  But, really, I missed walking.  I missed the feeling it gave me (must be true about the endorphins) and I certainly missed the feeling I had at the end of each hour-and-a-half jaunt.  Of course, I didn't miss the icy sidewalks (Duckworth St. businesses are so different than Water St. ones whereby it seems every last flake of snow has been cleared away), but I just take it slower and more careful on the upper leg of my journey.  I admit it felt a little different today.  I always walked feeling like I was waiting for someone at the finish line, someone who would be cheering me on, but I've let go of that.  Now, I am truly walking for myself.  Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having someone in the back of your mind, as inspiration, but even that someone can't come before yourself.  Today, I put myself first.  I feel so much lighter already.  Now, it seems my thought has shifted from walking to lose the weight to walking to maintain the weight.  I'm still not sure what the best thing to eat after a long walk is.  There's times I reach for some old cheddar cheese and there's times I grill some chicken breast.  I've even been known to stop in for a slightly toasted tea biscuit with a cup of tea.  I admit, I still have few answers when it comes to what is best to nourish my body after such intense exercise, but I'm learning.  Dr. Oz's book is turning out to be a wonderful read.  I think I'll turn in early tonight and catch a few more pages of that.  After all, I've got an early rise tomorrow.  In no time, it will be 6:00 and my day will start again, along with my walking.  I don't really mind reaching the finish line on my own.  At least I've made it this far.

2 comments:

  1. Eric,

    I believe there are many people cheering you on always on this journey, even though you cannot see them. Because we are not physically at 'the finish line' of each walk that you take, does not mean that we don't exist - kinda like the 'sunflowers in France'... :-)

    “In April, we cannot see sunflowers in France, so we might say the sunflowers do not exist. But the local farmers have already planted thousands of seeds, and when they look at the bare hills, they may be able to see the sunflowers already. The sunflowers are there. They lack only the conditions of sun, heat, rain and July. Just because we cannot see them does not mean that they do not exist.”~ Thich Nhat Hanh

    You are a champion, my friend.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something to think about, Linda. Thanks for sharing that quote with me.

    ReplyDelete