Thursday 10 March 2011

First Things First

It's 6:16 am as I begin writing this.  While my computer offers the correct time, I've noticed that my blog entries show up with some other time indicated at the bottom.  Note to self to check into that.  The early hour offers me a choice to start walking as daylight approaches or to sit in the warmth of my computer room.  Here I am.  This choice is mainly due to the fact there is something I want to talk about this morning and it is something that I've seen consistently for years in so many people.  I could even include myself in that list.  It's simply my belief that so many of us put so many others first as we typically leave ourselves last.  I've always thought that was a curious comment on humanity.  I've watched people walk to the ends of the world for someone else and then could hardly put one foot in front of the other for themselves.  Why is that, I wondered?  Certainly, there was little teaching growing up that offered an empowering message toward that end.  Even today, the only time you seem to hear a message suggesting putting yourself first is on an airplane when the safety features clearly point out that in the event of a drop in cabin pressure and the mask drops, you must put yours on first before assisting anyone else.  However, while I've never experienced such an occurrence, I'd put my money on any mother putting their child's mask on first.  It's human nature.   But I can't help ask the question (outside the oxygen mask example), does it really serve us to put others first?  I'd like to suggest one thing about that.  In the matter of doing so much for others, we do get to see our strength.  That same strength is available to ourselves.  We just have to direct it inward.  That doesn't mean we have to stop doing for others for I like to think we can do both.  As a matter of fact, I know we can do both.  The reason I know that is simply that I used to be one of those people who put others first at the expense of myself.  Today, my priority is me and I'm proud to say it.  There's still plenty of room for others.  I think I'm proving that by sitting at the computer and sharing this message.  By the way, it's precisely 6:34 as I end this entry.  I wonder what time the blog system will then say it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment