Saturday 19 March 2011

All Dressed Up and Everywhere To Go

For as long as I can remember, I've loved to dress nicely.  The first suit I can really remember was in Grade 6 when I had what I considered to be the best looking suit for my confirmation.  It was a brown, three-piece suit that made me feel like the most important person in the world.  Maybe that's where my love of clothing came from.  When I started losing weight last summer, it meant getting rid of most of what was contained within seven closets in my home, including over seventy winter, summer, and top coats of all descriptions.  I happily said goodbye to all of that and then I said hello to some really wonderful new suits.  There was one in particular I bought that was simply too small for me.  It felt like an impossibility to ever fit into it but I bought it anyway.  I may have lost 40 lbs by that time.  Even when I came back from Ottawa several weeks ago, I approached my dream suit with the realization that it was still too tight, despite having lost so much more weight since first purchasing it.  This morning, as I'm preparing for the Spring Fashion Show at the Village Mall, I decided to take a peek in one of the back closets where that suit hung with lifeless abandon.  I thought, why not give it a shot?  After all, I have walked for three hours a day for weeks and I have paid attention to most of what has gone in my mouth.  I'm careful to say most.  I think I inhaled a bag of potato chips the other night along with a sprinkling of ju jubes and an irresistible chocolate bar.  Hey, I have my moments too.  As I removed the suit from the hanger and tried it on, I wondered if it was the wrong suit.  To my delight, it fits perfectly.  I'll shout out a great big hurray on that one.  It took twenty minutes to steam it and it will take another thirty minutes to finish getting ready, but I couldn't resist hopping on this computer and sharing the feeling.  Of course, I don't do all of this for the new clothes, but when you can fit into something that you only ever dreamed of, it's worth showing it off.  After the fashion show, I think I'll have one of my own as I step out around town everywhere I can go just to show myself off.  I wonder if my Grade 6 teacher is still around.  Apparantly, I haven't changed my looks since grade school as people say I'm immediately recognizable.  Mrs. Armstrong commented on how good I looked back then.  I bet you someone else will do so today!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Eric! I remember that feeling - a very long time ago...And, tonight you have made me realize that I would like to have that feeling again!!! Tonight, I feel the urgency in achieving that for myself, too. It's like a lightbulb just came on!

    After my walk (only little more than an hour and a half ago), which, by the way, your 3rd post "A Walk To Remember" inspired (I actually got up - ironically enough from blogging - and got myself out the door), I started - and finished - reading your entire blog from 'cover to cover'. It is, for me, a real page-turner and quite remarkable. It's as though you are reading my own mind. LOL

    I have decided in this very moment, Eric, that 'You' and 'Your Blog' are to be my 'Wellness/Happiness Coach' - no pressure!! LOL I know it's something that I need to do for myself, of course; but let's face it, sometimes we all need a little help from someone else along the way - no matter in what form it may take. It's good to have your thoughts to refer to when I need them most...

    Thanks, Eric! I'll be checking in to read your blog regularly, and I'll be sure to let you know how it's going...I hope to make you proud. :-)

    Muahhh,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I considered that when I started this blog three weeks ago, I would continue to write, even if nobody was reading. I would write as part of my own journey. Then, people started reading and that provided a sense of satisfaction. To then discover that this has inspired somebody is tremendously rewarding. Remember, it's a lot of work, but we're worth it.

    ReplyDelete