Sunday 20 March 2011

Searching for Superlatives

It seems my whole life, I have always sought to be the best at what I do.  I remember in grade school, I always excelled and my father would offer me one dollar for every 100% I would get on a test.  It was the easiest money I ever made.  That is, of course, until I started decorating for Christmas as a career.  Even in doing that, I wanted to be the best Christmas decorator this province has ever seen.  It's easy for a confident grin to pass across my face as I consider the results of that effort.  It's much the same as the house I live in.  I even wanted that to be the best that was out there.  That strive for perfection has punctuated my life in pretty much everything I do.  Now, there was one more superlative to achieve and that is, myself.  Believe me when I say one of the greatest things about being overweight for so long is the feeling you get once the weight comes off.  Someone who has been thin their entire life may never understand what that feeling is like.  Now, my journey is about myself and I love whenever something inspires me.  Tonight, as I'm watching the movie, "Magnificent Obsession", there was a fabulous scene that offered a great tip on leveraging myself towards that goal.  It would take too long to explain the scene, but essentially, at 35 minutes into the movie, the character of Rock Hudson is being educated on how to establish contact with the source of infinite power.  It's how to fulfill your destiny, as explained in the scene.  The luxury of that on-demand movie was that I could rewind the scene until I had a firm grasp of what was being discussed.  The down side of on-demand movies is that they're so unpredictable in their proper operation so once I hit pause, I can't seem to get back to it.  Doh!  I'm sure I'll get to see the end of that movie at some point just as I'm sure I'll reach my own goal for personal best.  Of course, as thrilled as I am with my work at Christmas and as much as I really loved getting those dollar bills from my father, nothing, absolutely nothing comes close to the feeling that I get from simply being the best me that's out there.  What an incredible journey this is.  I know I'm not on this alone.  That same journey is available to you all, even with the same result.  Now, let's see if my digital cable will be kind enough to let me finish that movie.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment