Wednesday 6 April 2011

Sew Wonderful

When I was just a young boy, my mother purchased a sewing machine from Sears.  I watched in fascination as a machine that just sent a needle up and down could create some amazing fashions.  It took a while for me to realize that it was the hands of the one doing the sewing that created all of those wonderful things.  Before long, I wanted to try my hand at sewing.  Soon, I discovered I was pretty good at it.  The ability to create something out of practically nothing really fascinated me.  I then put that talent to use while in university where I was known to make a lot of my own clothes.  Once I discovered how to manipulate a pattern, I could create almost anything.  I then turned that skill to home fashions and my simple drapery designs soon became rather interesting creations.  As my business grew, I then farmed that work out so my time at my mother's sewing machine was limited.  You can imagine my delight when I found pretty much the exact machine at a flea market last year in its own carrying case.  Straight out of the seventies, the man who sold it to me claimed it purred like a kitten.  He was right.  One year later, I took out that sewing machine and created fourteen drapery panels.  I was at it all day.  How nice to remind myself of a hobby I thoroughly enjoyed.  I was also reminded of something else and that was, how easy it is to recreate a piece of clothing.  I was reminded of the coat I wore last night as I walked and how it was getting just a little too big for me.  I went to the front closet and with wide eyes, I brought that jacket to the machine.  I thought to myself, why not take it in a few inches on each side, so I did.  It took all of about five minutes to turn my size medium coat into something that would closely resemble a small.  It zipped up snugly and perfectly.  When I walked this evening downtown, I couldn't help but remind myself of how proud I was walking on the first day of school in my new clothes back then.  The entire hour and a half went by effortlessly.  I could have kept on walking but dinner awaited.  I had to push the sewing machine to one side as I took my salad and chicken, but I think I'll keep it on the kitchen table for a while.  I think I've got a few piece of clothing left in the closet that could do with a re-fit.  Just imagine how good I'm going to look this summer.  I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. You are, indeed, a 100% creative being! I would never have guessed you could sew your own clothes! Although, it shouldn't come as a surprise at all. Lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, the work actually takes place in my head as I walk, like this morning when I was able to take a new shirt that I bought along with a second one that I purchased just for the additional fabric and create something fresh and exciting. Sewing it all together is the easy part. I'll do that over the weekend and keep the finished product for a special occasion. It's so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete