Wednesday 27 April 2011

20 Years Younger

This evening, I caught the episode of Oprah and she had a wonderful topic of shaving many years off your looks and off your life.  I seem to have dropped about ten years myself so I wondered how I could double up on that.  Essentially, she and her guests talked about the four key areas for this as they saw it and they are nutrition, exercise, skin care, and sleep.  I like to think I've got those four under check.  They recommended 300 minutes of exercise a week and I think I almost do that in a day.  While I'm not totally there on the nutrition side of things, I'm learning.  In terms of skin care, I openly admit that I use a very good cream on face every day after stepping out of the shower.  I started that about twenty years ago and I haven't missed a day.  It's like brushing my teeth.  Even when I was going to the gym and showering there, I had to suck it up if there was another guy watching my facial routine (or maybe they had to suck it up, who knows!).   I think I wrote last night about getting a good night's sleep every night and that I am committed to.  My body wakes up naturally each morning around 6:00 and my day starts fresh.  None of this is to suggest I've got it all figured out.  In terms of the exercise component, I learned that I've got to work more on my core and exercise that part of my body.  While my legs may be in great shape, I can't say the same for my stomach.  There's more work required there.  In terms of my food choices, I'm always learning, and certainly open to learning.  It was a hour well spent.  While I don't watch much television, I'd certainly welcome Oprah anyday into my living room.  In comparison, I never quite understood the appeal of an hour of some grubby individual sweating it out in some survivor land, with only a few bugs to nourish their starving body.  You can have that kind of television for me.  I'm sticking to the programming that supports my living well.  20 years younger and now, only 20 shows left.  I'll keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment