Friday 8 April 2011

Integrity

Whenever I have a meeting in my design business, the one thing you can be guaranteed of is that I'll be there on time.  You can pretty much set your watch by me.  I've always been like that.  From a business perspective, one of the ways you can have an advantage is simply by honoring your word.  That seems to be missing all over the place.  It's interesting when we consider our word, we are often the ones that get put last in terms of our promises.  It seems that if someone asks us for a favor and we say yes, we generally live into that.  However, that seems to fall apart whenever we make a promise to ourselves.  Take, for instance, when we promise to eat better, exercise more, no more this or no more that...and I could go on.  The thing for me is I don't want to make promises to myself that I don't intend to keep.  I keep it easy.  I walk three hours a day and while that's easy for me, I know it wouldn't be for most.  I gave up diet soft drink but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have one ever again.  It's the same about junk food.  It's not a staple in my everyday food consumption, but I will have it whenever I want it and as of late, the frequency is lesser and lesser.  I make those promises to myself, promises to do things, to avoid things, and to allow myself things.  I keep all those promises to myself.  It keeps me sane.  If I was to say there would never be another potato chip pass my lips, that would likely be the end of my word on that.  I keep it real.  It sees me through.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you, Eric, that I am really enjoying your blog and 'hearing' your thoughts. Thank you for sharing a very personal journey and for your inspirational message!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, it feels good to be real about things, even if those things are not so pleasant to talk about. The more we get real with our lives, the easier it all becomes. That's been my experience, at least.

    ReplyDelete