Thursday 7 April 2011

Fabulous Fifty

Last night, I recorded the episode of Oprah and got to it this evening.  For the past year, my mind has been open to new ways of being and new ways of eating, especially new ways of eating.  One of those new ways showed up in that Oprah episode.  It was all about following the Vegan way of eating.  Essentially, it consists of restricting all food products that come from animals, so no eggs, cheese, meat, etc.  At first glance, that might sound impossible.  After all, how could your possibly survive with only fruits and vegetables.  Of course, there is a whole lot more available to you.  I read a book a month or so ago about reversing diabetes and the jist of the book was essentially an encouragement to follow a vegan diet.  It took three hundred pages to get to that.  They got my forty-six bucks and I got the message that could have been delivered on page one.  I have kept an open mind to it ever since.  You see, I live with diabetes and I have watched it come under better control over the past year.  The weight in my stomach was the worst situation I could have found myself in and happily, I've managed to turn that situation around.  In that episode last night, they took a reformed carnivore through the supermarket and offered all the wonderful alternatives that can fit into a vegan diet.  I haven't seen such selections here, but then again, I haven't been on the hunt.  I don't know if I'm ready to fully commit to such a thing, but I am willing to explore the possibility.  That's not to say I will never pull up to a drive-thru window ever again and ask for something that walked the earth, with the works, but I'll keep an open mind to a new way of eating.  The way I see it, I've got at least another fifty years of living to try such things.  One things is for sure, you'll hear about it if I ever take a walk away from the wild side.

No comments:

Post a Comment