Sunday 3 April 2011

In Praise of Housework

One of the things I insist on each day is a well made bed.  Sounds pretty simple, doesn't it, to make your bed each day and, indeed, it is.  Yet, not everyone takes the time to do such a thing.  I've been in many houses where the covers are just thrown over and in many other houses where you have to kick your way to the bed.  I offer this example to illustrate the point I'd like to make about the learning I've been engaged in for the past seven years.  It's called Ontology and it is the study of "being".  Essentially, you can ask yourself the question, who are you being in the matter of your life?  In the example I gave of keeping a tidy bedroom, who I am being in the matter of my home is someone who is deeply committed to having everything tidy, comfortable, and organized.  Ask any mother who she is being in the matter of her child and you will discover someone who is deeply committed to her offspring and would likely do anything for that child.  It is my study in Ontology that has brought me to myself.  I now ask the question, who am I being in the matter of my health?  That's an easy one to answer as I can see my commitment in its broadest form.  Who I am being is someone deeply committed to my life, my health, and my well being.  Just as I make my bed and tidy my home each day, I do the same things for my life.  My life consists of solid exercise each day.  My body asks for nourishing food and I do my best to give it what it needs.  I can liken my commitment to myself as similar to that of a mother's commitment to her child.  Sadly, I have noticed that so many of us do so much for others and we seem unwilling to do even a fraction of that for ourselves.  That is one of the big changes in my life--I now put myself first.  Today, I enjoyed the benefits of a long walk, even though it came in what seemed like a raging snowstorm at 6:30 this morning.  I treated myself to good food today and to some wonderful comany this evening.  I now get to head to bed where I know a perfectly made bed awaits.  That's who I am being in the matter of my life.  It will ensure I have a good one for many, many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment