Tuesday 19 April 2011

A Royal Breakfast

For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by the British Royal Family.  I think I must have every book ever published about them.  Perhaps in a past life, I was a member of some aristocratic family so maybe part of that lifestyle still lingers.  With the wedding of the century coming next Friday, the television if full of specials dedicated to the Royal Family.  Tonight, I watched a show all about the food that this family is served.  It's hard to imagine that each one of them isn't three hundred pounds.  You should see what goes into each meal.  That precision in creating reminds me of what I was doing while I was watching that show.  Tonight, I am creating a series of Easter baskets for a client.  My kitchen is an explosion of color and confections of all sorts.  My pride comes from not just the creations that will find their way to that client's office in the morning, but in the fact that no temptation arose from making those bundles.  Ordinarily, there would be one chocolate bunny for the basket and one for my mouth.  The same would be true for those irresistible "peeps".  Boy, could I ever pack them inside of me.  That marshmallow fluffiness was a sensation that I couldn't get enough of, but tonight, each one found its way to the baskets.  While I still have my sweet tooth, I don't exercise it the same way that I used to.  It's taken me a full day to complete those baskets and it might take another two days to clean up the mess!  It makes me wonder if the Royals will have their own Easter-egg hunt.  I wonder what the Queen would say if she could see one of my own creations.  She may have plenty of her own chefs guarding the secrets of each recipe that finds its way to her plate, but I bet she doesn't have a series of Easter baskets with bunny ears peeping out of the top.  I guess if she asked, I'd do some for her, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment