Tuesday 12 April 2011

Mother and Child

Just when you think spring is here, you get dumped with a morning full of freezing cold rain, and yes, I walked for the full hour and a half in it.  When it came time to walk again this evening, the rain was reduced to just a drizzle but the cold was still there.  I guess you can have a high tolerance for such weather conditions but there is a threshold.  I reached mine just about the time I reached the "open" sign at the Afghan Restaurant.  It's the kind of place that if you didn't know it was there, you'd never know it was there.  It's on Duckworth St. and takes up the space of about one car parking spot.  There's just six very small tables inside of which each is able to seat two.  I had been there before last summer but I admit my patronage over the winter had been waning.  I was glad for the cold for in I went.  I was immediately reminded of the kind lady who prepares the food and her gracious son who brings the food to your table.  It's a fascinating study in cultural commitment to business for the pair are there six days a week as they work in such a very tiny space.  One thing is for sure, the food is delicious.  It's much like Indian cuisine and I sat there, guilt free, knowing each item on my plate was prepared with love.  As I sat there with my jacket off, I couldn't help but notice how much smaller I looked and felt.  I guess when you're walking three hours a day (less one hour on a cold night like tonight) the weight is going to come off eventually.  Sometimes, it takes a tight t-shirt to remind you of just how far you've come.  The meal was piping hot and wonderful.  One generous tip later and I was out the door.  Tonight, it really felt like they felt my cold and they took me in out of the weather to warm me up.  I think I'm going to have to visit that very sweet mom and son more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment