Friday 22 April 2011

A Dream of Yesterday

Last night, I had a dream of my first apartment.  It was 1995 and through the kindness of a friend, I was offered a bachelor apartment even though I had no money at the time.  I was out of work and I needed a place of my own.  It was the smallest of apartments on King's Bridge Rd. and though my neighbours all lived in the biggest houses, I believed mine was up there with the best.  It was filled with all the things that mattered to me at the time and though I didn't have one set of china, the atmosphere was beautiful.  Before long, I found a job that filled my Monday to Fridays from 9 to 5.  While I loved my job, I soon discovered that this regular routine was not meant to be mine.  I started my own business the following year.  In my dream, I was brought back to a time that was very gentle.  I remember having to cook my own meals because I couldn't affort to eat out.  I will always remember my employer at the time asking me to treat a special client to a wonderful night out to dinner.  The only dining room I knew of at the time was my own, so I made such a special evening of it.  I was later treated to a special teacup which came all the way from Germany where this man lived.  My dream reminded me of how simple my life was back then.  I cooked all my meals and my tiny freezer held enough food for the coming week.  As I compare that today, my sets to china are endless and my meals, while sometimes at my own hand, are sometimes at the hands of a local reastaurant.  I think my dream last night reminded me that the terrible experience I had out to dinner last night didn't have to be that way.  I have a fully equipped kitchen with the best of everything in it.  It's time to get back to that.  Today is Good Friday.  My meal was with my family today and in observance of this day, there was no meat on the menu.  I'm still full from that earlier meal.  There's an invitation for me to go out and socialize tonight.  Why not, I say!  With the help of a friend earlier, we went through every room to find a home for all the new things that have found their way here.  Even as I was going through my home earlier, I was reminded so much of that earlier time in my dream.  It was a much simpler time.  I liked it.  I have a feeling tonight will bring me back to something else special.  Let's see what this special evening holds.  Until later...

No comments:

Post a Comment