Monday 16 May 2011

Video Gotcha

Whenever I'm in my car, it is usually tuned to CBC radio.  I like the opportunity to expand my mind and to listen to something other than screaming ads that the more popular radio stations offer.  Today, I heard an interesting story of a bus driver in Rome who was busted when one of his passengers took a cell-phone video of him.  As it turned out, the bus driver was on two cell phones, using one to talk to a service representative while setting up his email on the other.  The entire time, he was driving with his elbows.  It just sounded so ridiculous, but, of course, believable.  The host of the radio show offered up a national, one-thing-at-a-time day and then suggested it should be an international day.  I quite agree.  It reminded me of something that I often see as I walk through my world and that is, people who are multi-tasking as they are taking their exercise.  It happens whenever I pass someone in their workout stage of their walk and they happen to be on their cell phone.  It seems to me that one defeats the other.  How can you concentrate on your exercise while you are chatting on the phone?  I never take my phone with me as I walk.  The way I see it, that walk is more important than anyone who might be phoning at the time.  Whatever I might have missed will be waiting for me when I get back to the car.  So, it's not so much what I missed, but what I have gained by concentrating all my effort on what I am doing and that is, walking and looking after myself.  In Women, Food, and God, Geneen Roth uses the same ideology for talking about taking our meals.  You need to be present to the food, she says, without interruptions of watching television.  For her, there can only be one true task at mealtime and that is, taking the time to eat your food.  I guess there are times when multi-tasking would be a benefit (housekeeping included) and other times when it just doesn't serve you to to be doing more than one thing at the same time.  I guess that bus driver will have plenty of free hands with no more steering wheel in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment