Saturday 7 May 2011

Mother's Day

The way I saw it today, there would hardly be a Mother's Day if there wasn't the product of a mother, and in this case, the product is me!  It was just the excuse I was looking for to devour some cake.  The other day, I had safely delivered a glorious cake to a very special mother in my life and all I could call my own was the drizzle of icing that had found its way to the box once I transferred it to a proper glass cake plate.  It called my name.  This evening, I made a special trip for my own Mother's Day cake.  I went to the Sobey's that boasted a completely renovated store and it lived up to its promise.  The first thing in my basket was a cupcake that was twice the size of any other normal cupcake.  Alas, I had found my cake.  On the top was  a smothering of orange-flavored icing, chosen only after I carefully reviewed all the other flavors lining the showcase.  After a few healthy snacks found their way to my cart, I beat it home for my celebratory confection.  An hour later, I can safely report that it was a big mistake.  It was less than fresh, but more importantly, it was just so sweet.  I really don't choose sweets the way I used to, but tonight, that cake called my name.  It went right to my head.  Funny, I do know the difference, but all sensibilities shot out the door and I was left with the nagging feeling that this wasn't the best thing I could have done for myself.  Well, there's little else I can do right now except pick myself up, dust myself off, and recognize that I really shouldn't be at such things.  I think I'll leave the celebrating to the ones that really deserve it--the mothers.  I'm sure mine will have a glorious day tomorrow, with or without cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment