Sunday 1 May 2011

The Power of Thought

I've always believed in the power of my thoughts.  For example, when I started walking last year, I thought back to a time when I wasn't so overweight.  I really imagined that I was still in that body.  I remembered what it felt like.  I remembered the clothes I used to wear.  As I walked, I really believed that body was still mine and what I also believed was that my body would like up quicker with that thought.  I believed that just as important as the exercise and food choices was my mind's belief that I was in a smaller body.  While I can't say for certain that did it, what I know for sure is that the smaller body I imagined came to me a lot quicker than I could have imagined. That got me thinking about my thoughts as they related to food.   It seems that for the first six months, I used to feel so guilty if I ate anything that didn't seem to fit with my weight-loss goals.  Now, I believe that guilt was a thought that turned that food, whatever it was, into extra fat on my body.  I had to walk further and harder just to rid myself of that.   Now, I think about that differently.  There's no more guilt.  That guilt, I believe, is a thought that instantly turns that food to fat on my body.  So, I now choose a different thought, even with the very same food.  There is no longer any guilt.  As a matter of fact, as I'm writing this, I am enjoying a cup full of ice cream--a guilt-free cup as well.  The way I see it, I can look at that ice cream as something I just want to have as a little treat after dinner.  If I looked at that ice cream with guilt, that thought would make that ice cream wrong, and me for wanting it.  When I tell myself I can have whatever I want when I'm hungry, that thought becomes freeing.  The result I notice is that this ice cream no longer has the power over me.  The other result is that I don't actually reach for ice cream as much.  I really don't remember the last time I had it.  A guilt-free thought about this treat is liberating.  Well, I seem to have just finished my little treat.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment