Wednesday 11 May 2011

Gratitude

Whenever a present shows up on your door, it's so easy to be thankful for that.  It's, perhaps, not as easy to offer the same thanks whenever that same door comes crashing in on you.  Throughout the past year, I've had plenty of presents on my door and without a doubt, it's come crashing in on me as well.  What I have learned is to give thanks for both experiences.  When I say thanks, I really mean it.  I always look to the learning in each experience that comes my way.  Lately, there's been something nagging at me and it was quite something else to say to the world, thank you for giving this to me, but I did.  Even in the moments of deepest confusion, I still looked to the learning and I asked the important questions.  Today, I was the recipient of yet another gift and I can't help but feel it came as a direct result of looking at the tough experiences that I've endured lately and being grateful for those.  I know that might sound unusual and on the surface it is, but it's much like walking in the poor weather.  It's easy to look up into the sunshine and say thank you for this beautiful weather, but imagine saying that when the cold and the rain are beating down on your face.  Even in the midst of weather like that when my hands are turning blue, I can still look up and give thanks.  What I am thankful for is the strength to keep going in that weather.  I am thankful for my determination and to see that it doesn't diminish even when it is so easy to give up.  What I am most thankful for is that moment when I am finished walking and I can look back and simply say, I did it.  For the past four years, there has been something in my life that was often quite difficult.  For the past three days, I have emerged from that.  No doubt, the gift I received today was a blessing that reminded me that all it took was the courage to hang in there and keep on moving.  Again, I'll just keep giving thanks.  What a day this has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment